NVFS in the News
A linked index of articles about the work we’re doing
In the News 2017
- 23 – NVFS raises $600K for programs at ‘Road to Independence Gala’ – What’s Up Woodbridge
NVFS raises more than $600,000 to help strengthen local families at the 2017 Road to Independence Gala, and honors former U.S. Rep Frank Wolf and Leadership Fairfax, Inc. President and CEO Karen Cleveland.
- 8 – Scot McCloughan selling his autographed Redskins gear is the best thing on the Internet – The Washington Post
Former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan auctioned off his trademark camo hat and tan suit to benefit the Redskins Charitable Foundation and NVFS.
- 27 – This food pantry manager loves serving the needy, so he persuaded his children to work there, too – The Washington Post
The staff at NVFS’ Hunger Resource Center feel like a family — because half of them are members of the same family. Meet Hunger Resource Center manager Darrell Dixon and his children.
- 25 – Lyda E. Holguin Palacios Awarded $20,000 Counseling Fellowship From NBCC and Affiliates – NBCC Foundation
Lyda E. Holguin Palacios, a doctoral intern at NVFS’ Multicultural Center, was named as one of 23 doctoral counseling students to the National Board for Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program.
- 6 – Stephan Cassaday Wins Top Financial Advisor in Virginia Again in 2017 – PRWeb
NVFS’ CARE Award is among one of many awarded to Cassaday & Company, Inc. for workplace excellence.
- 28 – Northern Virginia Family Service: Helping Local Families in Need – Prince William Living
An overview of NVFS throughout the years, especially regarding its services in Prince William County
- 21 – Prince William Resident Trains Community Members to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse – Prince William Living
NVFS staff have received training on preventing child abuse.
- 17 – Finance Committee Recommends $4.6K for 11 Nonprofits – Loudoun Now
Loudoun County finance committee recommends allocating additional funding to NVFS.
- 28 – “Strikes for Stronger Families” – Bowling to Help Feed Local Families Online – Prince William Living
This year’s bowl-a-thon, called “Strikes for Stronger Families,” will be held on Saturday, March 11, 2017, at Bowl America in Manassas (9000 Mathis Ave.). The event is a key fundraiser to benefit NVFS’ SERVE Campus; in 2016, NVFS raised more than $57,500 through the bowl-a-thon alone.
- 2 – Zandras collects ‘more than 50 coats’ – Potomac Local
Zandra’s Taqueria donated the clothing, along with proceeds from its sales of hot chocolate and coffee during the event, to SERVE, a program of Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS).
- About NVFS
- Media Center
- Contact Us
- Our Services
- Early Childhood Development
- Foster Care & Adoption
- Health & Well-Being
- Homelessness & Housing
- Immigration Legal Services
- Mental Health
- Workforce Development
- Youth Initiatives
- Get Assistance
- Get Involved
- Road to Independence Gala
- CARE Awards Breakfast
- Strikes for Stronger Families Bowl-A-Thon
- Empty Bowls
- Past Events Photo Gallery
- Support NVFS