83% of clients receiving transportation loan program services have built better credit by making regular monthly payments.
Vehicles for Change
The Vehicles for Change program was established to assist low-income individuals in our community as they strive to become self-reliant. The program uses donated vehicles from the community that are made "road ready" for distribution to eligible recipients. (See eligibility requirements below.)
Vehicles are repaired in partnership with local garages and provided to low-income families for a nominal fee of $800, allowing the wage earners in each family to have dependable transportation to work. Each recipient must pay a $150 downpayment and then, if approved receive a small loan for the car to be paid back over a 9 month period.
To participate in Vehicles for Change applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be low income (at or below 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines)
- Must be employed (at least 30 hours per week for 30 days)
- Have at least one (1) child age 18 or under
- Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license
- Have savings of $250 - $300 to cover the initial cost of a downpayment, insurance, taxes, tags and title
- Show proof that there are no existing DUI or DWI by obtaining a VA DMV driving record for all adult drivers in the household
- All bankruptcies must be discharged by the court
Program partners include Vehicles for Change, Inc. (Baltmore, MD), the Departments of Social Services in the Counties of Arlington and Loudoun and the City of Alexandria.
For more information about Vehicles for Change, call 571-748-2592.