Providing our neighbors Support during the shutdown
With over 800,000 federal workers across the nation impacted by the government Shutdown, Northern Virginia Family Service stands ready to assist our current clients and neighbors throughout the region. For nearly 100 years, we have provided high quality assistance to individuals and families in crisis and are well prepared to assist those affected by current circumstances.
If you are or know a federal worker, federal contractor, or other individual impacted by this shutdown, we have several resources available.
- Explore your options: Connect with a NVFS Case Manager to explore services that you may qualify for and learn about providers that can assist you.
- Call the NVFS Housing Assistance and Shutdown Hotline: 571.748.2552
- Contact the NVFS Shutdown Assistance email: Shutdown@nvfs.org
- Emergency Financial Assistance: Through the generosity of our donors and a contribution from the United Way of the National Capital Area’s Emergency Assistance Fund, NVFS can assist you by providing financial assistance for some rent/mortgage and utility expenses.
- Emergency Food Assistance: During this period, our Hunger Resource Center welcomes any Shutdown impacted individuals that require food assistance. We will also work to connect you with other community food partners that may be more conveniently located.
- Furloughed Worker Resource List: Download our consolidated list of resources.
- Sample Letters for Creditors: Download and edit these sample letters to request a delay or temporary reduction in payments due to your mortgage company, landlord, utlility, or bank.
NOTE: If seeking assistance, please first reach out by email or call so our NVFS staff can assist you with an initial assessment and identify a plan of support for you. There are a number of NVFS office locations and we want to ensure you are supported properly.
Interested in Assisting?
There are several ways you, your family, your company, or your organization can assist us to help our neighbors in need.
- Donate Money: Make a financial contribution online and designate your gift for “Shutdown Assistance” in the dropdown menu. We will use these funds to provide additional financial assistance to clients, help maintain our food inventory at the Hunger Resource Center, and assist with other support services such as transportation, childcare, or mental health counseling.
- Donate Items: We gladly accept a variety of items to assist those in need.
- Gift Cards from Grocery Stores & Restaurants: Preferably Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Walmart, and Target
- Food: Non-perishable canned and boxed foods are always appreciated.
- Organize a Drive or Fundraiser: You can organize a drive to solicit gifts or items from your network. Check out our wish list of items to see what is in greatest need. You can also start your own online fundraiser through Facebook. Just type in NVFS for your selected nonprofit.
- Sign-up to Volunteer: Explore our multiple individual and group volunteer opportunities.
- Share these Resources: Help us communicate our resources by following us and sharing this information on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Contact the NVFS Shutdown Assistance email: Shutdown@nvfs.org to indicate your interest and we will connect you to ongoing efforts.
NOTE: Should Shutdown contributions exceed our needs, gifts will be directed to where they are needed most to help children and families in crisis in northern Virginia
NVFS Housing Assistance and Shutdown Hotline: 571.748.2552
NVFS Shutdown Assistance email: Shutdown@nvfs.org
Media Inquiries: Janice Kaplan via JaniceLKaplan@JaniceLKaplan.com or 202.277.5461