Thank you for your interest in applying for a car from NVFS’s Vehicles for Change. Our mission is to provide vehicles to low-income families so that they may maintain employment and seek even better job opportunities.
NVFS’s Vehicles for Change (VFC) receives road-ready used cars from the non-profit organization Vehicles for Change and distributes them to eligible recipients. Car recipients are responsible for paying a nominal $800 fee which may repayable through a car loan depending on a client’s financial stability. Car recipients are provided with a one year AAA Membership and a six month/6000 mile limited warranty.
Cars are distributed only once per month. Due to funding limitations, we are only able to provide cars to families with children ages 0-17 currently living in Northern Virginia. Cars are assigned based on family size and needs. Clients will not be able to select the type of car they will receive and car assignments are outside of NVFS’s control. Clients are under no obligation to accept the car offered to them; however, if a client chooses not to accept the car, they will not be able to receive another vehicle through the program or apply again. There are no exceptions to this rule.
To receive a car from NVFS’s VFC, clients must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Have low income (200% or less of federal poverty level) OR be a current/former TANF recipient.
- Be employed at least 30 hours per week for at least 30 days.
- Have at least one dependent child 0-17 years old.
- Have a valid Virginia driver’s license.
- Have savings of at least $300 to cover car costs such as insurance, taxes, tags, title, and down payment.
- Provide VA DMV driver record showing no existing DUI or DWI for all drivers in the household – https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general/#records/drive_record.asp.
In addition, the program operates under the general guidelines that recipients:
- Are able to pay the full $800 fee up front or take an 8% interest loan.
- Are insurable as required by Virginia law.
- Can budget for and afford ongoing car expenses such as gas, maintenance, and repairs.
- Do not own any other car nor have one available to them.
- Will access the program only once.
|PLEASE NOTE: Distribution of cars to eligible applicants depends on the availability of cars. The process from submission of your application to receipt of a car may take from a few weeks to several months. Applicants will be advised as to the status of their application as they move through the process. Completion of this application does not guarantee that you will receive a car.|
VFC Required Documentation:
- Copies of Social Security cards: For all adults in your household
- Copies of valid Virginia drivers’ licenses: For all drivers in your household
- Children’s identifications: Social security card or school ID or school registration or Medicaid card
- Employment verification: Past month’s pay stubs, a picture of your schedule for the past four weeks, or a letter from your employer
- Proof of any other income: SNAP (food stamps), SSI/SSDI, alimony or child support payments, TANF
- Past month’s bank statement: Checking and savings statement listing all transactions
- Three-year driving record for all drivers in your household: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general/#records/drive_record.asp
- Current lease OR Completed Housing Verification Form: If subsidized, include any letter stating how much you are responsible for
- Signed Appeals and Rights and Responsibilities Form
- Complete application