Healthy Families Alexandria
Healthy Families Alexandria, a program of Northern Virginia Family Service, provides voluntary home-visiting services to vulnerable first-time parents residing in City of Alexandria. Established in 1993, the program is affiliated with Healthy Families America, an initiative of Prevent Child Abuse America, and is an active member of the 33-site Healthy Families Virginia network.
Eligibility for Services:
Eligibility for the Healthy Families program is based on findings from an initial assessment using the Kempe Family Stress Checklist. Specific criteria for eligibility are the following:
- Participants must live in the City of Alexandria.
- Participants must be pregnant with or parenting their first child in the United States.
- The mother must be pregnant with and/or the target child must be under 2 weeks of age at the time of referral.
- The target child must be less than three months old at pre-enrollment (assignment to Family Support Worker).
- Participants must screen and assess positively according to the Healthy Families Alexandria Screening and Parent Interview procedures.
- Participant must not be currently enrolled in another intensive home visiting program such as Alexandria Resource Mothers or Early Head Start, unless coordinated, concurrent services are indicated.
In addition to year-round donations, Healthy Families Alexandria is a proud participant of ACT for Alexandria's Spring2ACTion Day of Giving, Wednesday, April 17, 2013. Special thanks to Lansinoh and Mason Hirst for providing matching grants of $1,000 each, which helps double our donors' impact on this local day of giving!