NVFS in the News
A linked index of articles about the work we’re doing
In the News 2017
- 16 – NVFS’ Healthy Families Alexandria Kicks Off 25-Year Anniversary With Family Picnic – Alexandria News
Client families, supporters, volunteers and staff enjoyed a picnic to celebrate the NVFS’ Healthy Families Alexandria’s 25 years of service to Alexandria families.
- 9 – Angles Wins Two Coveted National Business Awards – Digital Journal
NVFS supporter Christine Angles wins national business awards.
- 3 – NVFS to receive funds raised in “Hungry for More” childhood hunger campaign – What’s Up Prince William
The childhood hunger campaign, supported by funds from Safeway, runs through Oct. 15.
- 28 – Northern Virginia Business Briefcase, 9/28/17 edition – Inside NoVA
25 local companies have been awarded the 2017 CARE Award by NVFS.
- 27 – Northern Virginia Family Service Honors SourceAmerica with 25th Annual CARE Award – PRWeb
- 25 – The Last DACA Clinic: Applications for renewals must be filed by Oct. 5 – Connection Newspapers
In partnership with Just Neighbors Ministry Inc., NVFS immigration attorneys provide support for DACA renewal applications.
- 12 – Fauquier group offers help for ‘Dreamers’ – Fauquier Times
NVFS is offering legal aid for DACA renewal applications throughout Northern Virginia.
- 6 – Commentary: Disparity, Poverty Hidden by Communities’ Wealth – Centre View
NVFS President and CEO Stephanie Berkowitz details how for many Northern Virginia residents, living-wage jobs and affordable housing remain elusive.
- 28 – Northern Virginia Family Service Offers Resilience Workshops – Loudoun Tribune
With a grant from 100WomenStrong, NVFS has created a resiliency program for local children.
- 11 – Life as a therapeutic foster parent – LocalDVM.com
Brenda Jacoby, a registered nurse and a foster parent through NVFS, became a foster mother 30 years ago. Since then, she has had more 20 children call her house a home.
- 22 – At-risk Arlington youth, families headed to the ballpark – Inside NOVA
Arlington families participating in homelessness-prevention programs of Community Residences, Doorways for Women and Families and NVFS will attend the seventh annual “Night at the Ballpark” sponsored by HomeAid Northern Virginia.
- 21 – Heat wave impacts homeless: Medical emergencies multiply, and cooling stations open for help – Local DVM
When a heat advisory is issued, NVFS’ Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter provides food, ice water, air conditioning and computers for job searching.
- 23 – Fairfax County lords and ladies celebrate awards with real Lord and Lady Fairfax – Fairfax County Times
NVFS volunteer Rose Chu is recognized by Fairfax County for outstanding volunteer service.
- 19 – Service Above Self in Alexandria: Rotary Club donates $108,000 to local nonprofits – Alexandria Gazette
NVFS is one of Alexandria Rotary Foundation’s 2017 grant recipients.
- 23 – NVFS raises $600K for programs at ‘Road to Independence Gala’ – What’s Up Woodbridge
NVFS raises more than $600,000 to help strengthen local families at the 2017 Road to Independence Gala, and honors former U.S. Rep Frank Wolf and Leadership Fairfax, Inc. President and CEO Karen Cleveland.
- 8 – Scot McCloughan selling his autographed Redskins gear is the best thing on the Internet – The Washington Post
Former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan auctioned off his trademark camo hat and tan suit to benefit the Redskins Charitable Foundation and NVFS.
- 27 – This food pantry manager loves serving the needy, so he persuaded his children to work there, too – The Washington Post
The staff at NVFS’ Hunger Resource Center feel like a family — because half of them are members of the same family. Meet Hunger Resource Center manager Darrell Dixon and his children.
- 25 – Lyda E. Holguin Palacios Awarded $20,000 Counseling Fellowship From NBCC and Affiliates – NBCC Foundation
Lyda E. Holguin Palacios, a doctoral intern at NVFS’ Multicultural Center, was named as one of 23 doctoral counseling students to the National Board for Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program.
- 6 – Stephan Cassaday Wins Top Financial Advisor in Virginia Again in 2017 – PRWeb
NVFS’ CARE Award is among one of many awarded to Cassaday & Company, Inc. for workplace excellence.
- 28 – Northern Virginia Family Service: Helping Local Families in Need – Prince William Living
An overview of NVFS throughout the years, especially regarding its services in Prince William County
- 21 – Prince William Resident Trains Community Members to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse – Prince William Living
NVFS staff have received training on preventing child abuse.
- 17 – Finance Committee Recommends $4.6K for 11 Nonprofits – Loudoun Now
Loudoun County finance committee recommends allocating additional funding to NVFS.
- 28 – “Strikes for Stronger Families” – Bowling to Help Feed Local Families Online – Prince William Living
This year’s bowl-a-thon, called “Strikes for Stronger Families,” will be held on Saturday, March 11, 2017, at Bowl America in Manassas (9000 Mathis Ave.). The event is a key fundraiser to benefit NVFS’ SERVE Campus; in 2016, NVFS raised more than $57,500 through the bowl-a-thon alone.
- 2 – Zandras collects ‘more than 50 coats’ – Potomac Local
Zandra’s Taqueria donated the clothing, along with proceeds from its sales of hot chocolate and coffee during the event, to SERVE, a program of Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS).
- About NVFS
- Contact Us
- Media Center
- Our Services
- Early Childhood Development
- Foster Care & Adoption
- Health & Well-Being
- Homelessness & Housing
- Immigration Legal Services
- Mental Health
- Workforce Development
- Youth Initiatives
- Get Assistance
- Get Involved
- Support NVFS