CARE Awards Evaluation Process
Applicants are evaluated on the quality and scope of their policies and programs in several key categories. The CARE Awards selection process has three main areas of focus:
- Policies and benefits
- Ease of utilization
- Company culture and philosophy
In addition to reviewing the policies that are in place, the CARE Nominating Committee evaluates how companies publicize their programs and how easily accessible they are to employees. Less tangible, but perhaps even more important, is the company philosophy and culture. The Committee wants to learn why the company instituted these policies and how they fit into the overall goals of the organization. Finalists will be selected based on cumulative scoring of written application, site visit and employee survey.
1. CARE Award applications are evaluated on the quality and scope of their policies and programs in the categories of:
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Dependent Care
- Work/Family Stress Management
- Benefits and Community Involvement
2. Finalists receive intensive site visits in order to gain further insight into the companies’ programs and cultures. This is when the Nominating Committee tours the company and interviews a cross section of employees from entry-level to senior management. The site visit’s goal is to determine whether company policies truly respond to its workforce’s needs, that the policies are freely utilized and that leadership supports the creation of a flexible workplace. In addition to confirming the information provided in the application, the site visit allows the Committee more insight into the company culture.
3. Finalists are asked to administer a short web-based survey to a random sampling of their DC Metro Region-based employees. (Participant names remain confidential.) The results supplement the findings of the Committee during the site visit. Each organization selected to participate will receive a copy of their survey results.
4. The Nominating Committee makes its recommendations in a report to the CARE Advisory Committee.
5. The Advisory Committee makes a final decision on the award winners.
How can my company apply?
Applications are typically available in the spring each year. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, NVFS is re-evaluating the timing of the 2020 CARE Awards application process. Please stay tuned for additional details in the coming weeks.
Under when are winners announced, please add this line after the last sentence: Due to the COVID-19 crisis, NVFS is re-evaluating the timing of the 2020 CARE Awards. Please stay tuned for additional details in the coming weeks.
When are the winners announced?
Winners are usually announced in mid-September. The CARE Nominating Committee, which is composed of business leaders, human resource professionals and former CARE Awards winners, work throughout the summer and early fall to determine the winners. The process culminates with the announcement and presentation of awards at the annual CARE Awards Breakfast.
- About NVFS
- Contact Us
- Media Center
- Annual Reports & Financials
- Our Services
- Early Childhood Development
- Foster Care & Adoption
- Health & Well-Being
- Homelessness & Housing
- Immigration Legal Services
- Mental Health
- Workforce Development
- Youth Initiatives
- Get Assistance
- Get Involved
- Support NVFS
email@example.com / 571.748.2502