Donate items that help local families
Donate items to help families and individuals in Northern Virginia! Unless otherwise specified, contact Jamie Johnson for assistance in making a donation, organizing a collection drive or suggesting items that are not on this list.
- Grocery store gift cards (Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Target, & Walmart)
- Hunger Resource Center: Canned pastas, canned carrots, corn, beets, peas, mixed vegetables, fresh vegetables, spaghetti noodles, hot cereal, canned chicken, canned ham, Vienna sausage, all soups, kidney beans, pork and beans, baked beans, cooking oil, coffee, spices
- If you have a large delivery (more than one SUV/minivan/pick-up truck), please email Darrell Dixon or call 571.234.9450 to coordinate a delivery time and helping hands
- Location: SERVE Campus, 10058 Dean Dr., Manassas, VA 20110
- Donation Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Wednesays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Multicultural Center: Non-perishable, non-canned food items, including: bags of dried beans, bags of rice, bags of pasta, beef jerky, dried fruit, oatmeal, granola bars, black tea (loose or in bags), powdered milk, reusable water bottles
- Location: 6400 Arlington Blvd., Suite 100, Falls Church, VA 22042
- Restaurant Gift Cards (Casual and fast food)
- Men’s/women’s clothing and shoes, especially black work shoes, black work pants and polo-type shirts
- Business clothes – Please note that Training Futures is not currently accepting clothing donations as our Clothing Closet is full. At this time, please direct donations to any of our thrift stores.
- Shower shoes – SERVE Family Shelter
- Baby clothing
- Sun hats – SERVE Family Shelter
Clean clothes, shoes and accessories can also be donated to any of NVFS’ thrift stores; all proceeds benefit NVFS.
- Baby Items: Crib Sheets & Small Blankets (new or gently used), Baby-Proofing Safety Items (i.e. outlet covers), new baby bottles, new sippy cups, baby monitors
- Car seats: Cannot have been in an accident, and cannot be accepted past their printed expiration date
- Cribs: Manufactured June 28, 2011 or later
- We cannot accept items with recalls
- Laundry: Powdered Laundry Detergent (baby-safe), Detergent (especially detergent pods), fabric softener sheets
- Bathroom: Shower curtains/liners, bathtub drain stoppers, bathtub safety mats, towels
- Kitchen (for SERVE Family Shelter): ziploc bags (all sizes), plastic food wrap and aluminum foil (large: 18-24 in. wide), paper bags, sandwich bags, plastic utensils, cups, napkins, bowls (for cereal/salad), paper plates
- New pillows (for SERVE Family Shelter)
- Weighted blankets (for foster children)
- Garment plastic storage containers, clothing rack
- Night lights
- Paint (home interior)
- Paper towels
- Cleaning products, including: Multipurpose cleaner, bleach, glass cleaner, floor cleaner for linoleum/Pergo, Lysol (liquid and spray)/Pine sol, Clorox wipes, disposable gloves, tile/bathroom cleaner, sponges, toilet brushes
- Mop heads
- Brooms and dustpans
- Vacuum cleaners
- Tissues, flashlights, batteries (all types), light bulbs, padlocks with two keys, sidewalk de-icer, surge protectors
- Napkins, paper plates, disposable food containers (for dinner late plates for working clients), plastic utensils, plastic serving utensils
- Small furniture items (end tables, shelves, etc.) – Thrift Stores
- Large furniture items – Thrift Stores (pickup by thrift store staff may be possible: please call one of our stores for information)
- Housewares, linens, small appliances – Thrift Stores
- Welcome Home baskets – housing & homelessness
- Diapers & Wipes (especially size 3-6)
- Toilet paper
- Toothbrushes (adult size) and toothpaste
- Body wash/soap, men’s/women’s deodorant, Neosporin ointment, hand sanitizer, lotion, feminine hygiene products (especially maxi pads)
- Baby wipes, diaper rash lotion/ointment
- Sunblock and insect repellent – SERVE Family Shelter
- Disposable razors (men’s and women’s)
- Liquid hand soap
- Cold medicine and cough drops
- Children’s Board Books
Books in new or good condition can also be donated to any of NVFS’ thrift stores; all proceeds benefit NVFS.
- Rattles – early childhood
- New toys, all ages – Gifting for Families (December only)
Toys in new or good condition can also be donated to any of NVFS’ thrift stores; all proceeds benefit NVFS.
- Bus tokens/Metro SMART Cards – Early Childhood (parents), Training Futures, Housing & Homelessness, etc.
- Gas gift cards
- New car seats
Art & Classroom Supplies
- Washable finger paint
- Washable tempura paint
- Art Kraft rolls (different colors)
- Manila Art paper
- Finger paint paper
- Paint brushes
- Washable markers and crayons
- Construction paper (different sizes and different colors)
- Index cards
- Easel pads
- Tissue paper
- Squeezable paint
- Shape stencils
- Paper for drawing
- New school supplies (August only)
- Thumb Drives (minimum 4GB) – Training Futures
- Records & CDs – Thrift Stores
- Electronic Games
Electronics in new or good condition can also be donated to any of NVFS’ thrift stores; all proceeds benefit NVFS.
- Bikes (kids, teens, adults)
- Children’s bike helmets (SERVE Family Shelter)
Sports equipment in new or good condition can also be donated to any of NVFS’ thrift stores; all proceeds benefit NVFS.
- Incentive Awards for Moms (slippers, lotions, soaps, shower gels, perfume, nail polish, etc.)
- Incentive Awards for Dads (sporting equipment, restaurant gift cards, etc.)
- Funds to help clients obtain valid IDs or copies of IDs (i.e. driver’s license or other DMV ID, birth certificate, social security card)
- It costs approximately $10 to obtain a DMV ID (non-driver ID issued by the DMV) and $12 to obtain a copy of one’s birth certificate in Virginia
- Pens, dry-erase markers
- Gift cards to CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart, Target, etc. – health access / prescription medication
- Pre-paid international calling cards
- Small gift items – lotions, fancy soaps, etc.
- Group tickets to sports or cultural events
- Gift items, collectibles, estate goods*
*These items most effectively help when donated to our thrift stores, where all proceeds benefit NVFS.